Thursday 16 August 2012

Favourite holywood movies

I've watched countless of american movies. In random order, these are my favourites.

1. Pixar movies (Up, Toy stories, Finding nemo, Monster Inc, ratatouille and the incredibles)
They are all cute, some are funny, some are very touching ( I cried watching UP). Nothing can go wrong with pixar stories.Rumors has it that finding nemo 2 and the incredibles 2 are upcoming projects. YEAY!


2. Free Willy
Genre: Family


It remains the most movie i've watched. More than 5 times. I love since i watched it in high school. It introduced me to the existence of the magnificent killer whales, which I was extremely excited when i get to see one alive about 3 years after i watched the movie. It is a touching story.

3. Sex and the city movie (the first one)
Genre: Drama

The slogan says: Get Carried Away. and I did. Sure i always enjoy Carrie's fabulous fashion, but the plot is also nice and picked up where the series left of nicely. The sequel is very disappointing though

4. Romeo and Juliet (1996)
Genre: Love story


It is the first post-modern type movie that i've seen and i appreciate the beautiful mix of classic Shakespeare and the modern setting. I've become Baz Luhrman (the director)'s style's fan since. It made me appreciate the beauty of Shakespeare's language too. Though they could do with a better looking actor and actress to play Romeo and juliet (well, no one can beat the 1968 version's actress who plays juliet aka Olivia hussey)

5. Inglorious basterds
Genre: Drama, Action, war genre

It is the best movie ever. Hands down to Quentin Tarantino. I really like his style and quirkiness. I wasn't really interested in this movie at first since it is about war and hitler, but somehow i watched and once i started, i couldn't stop. It is the only drama movie that kept me glued from the beginning to the end. It is cleverly written, funny, witty, good story line and flow and on top of the flawless story, the acting are superb too, from the main characters to the supporting characters. Love everything about it.

6. Kill Bill (vol 1 and vol 2)
Genre: Action

I became Quentin Tarantino's style's fan since kill bill. Although this movie is very bloody, the story is cleverly written and keeps me wanting to watch how it ends. The characters are not too strong and the ending is very disappointing for me, but since i enjoyed the rides from the beginning till almost the ending, i don't mind it.

7. Coming to America
Genre: Comedy


I like the main character's quirkiness. The plot is simple, it's about a prince from somewhere in Africa who went to America to find his own wife. It is entertaining that i've watched it more than once and it never gets old.

8. Alien
Genre: Science Fiction


This movie is simply a classic. It has been studied in popular culture class. I've watched it many times and it never gets old. Though the sequels after this one cannot be compared to the first one.

9. Sorority boys
Genre: Comedy

Give me any movies on any male cross-dressing and i'll be on to it (Like The bird cage and Pricilla: Adventure of the queen desert). This movie's very light and purely for entertainment. It tells story of 3 college guys who pretended to be girls so they can enter a sorority house.

10. Catch me if you can
Genre: Drama, detective

The plot is interesting enough to keep me watching till the end. And Tom hanks is one of my favorite actors.

11. American beauty
Genre: Drama


The plot is very interesting, a middle age man who is having middle life crisis and developing an affection his daughter's friend. Well, it deserve to be in Academy Award best motion picture nominee. The acting from some actors are good too.

12. The mummy
Genre: Fantasy, adventure


Nothing special except it is entertaining. Stories on mummy or Egyptian are always interesting to be made into a movie.

13. Lord of the rings trilogy
Genre: Fantasy

When i watch the first one in cinema, i was shocked to see that it is to be continued, no one warned me before, but i waited patiently for one year and another year to watch the whole thing. It was worth it, though i enjoyed the first and last installment where they introduces the characters and the final battle (the ghostly soldiers are so cool)

14. Forest Gump
Genre: Drama

It deserved every academy awards it receive. the plot is cleverly written and i like how history facts are being entwined with the fiction story. I remembered it was a long queue to get the ticket and i think most of the audiences were from my high school.

15. The fifth element
Genre: fantasy, action


The story is ridiculous but nonetheless it entertain me and i think it is a classic too.

And the movies to avoid is the twilight saga series. I fell asleep when i watch the first one (Even the harry potters series has at least one installment that i like - prisoner of azkaban) , but then because it was such a big hit, i thought i gave it another chance, but the sequel and so on keep disappoint me that i think i will just give up.



















No comments:

Post a Comment