Wednesday 11 February 2015

Hotels and guest house review in Thailand

For my 2 weeks in Thailand, I had a chance to stay in 7 accommodation services: 1 being a farm house that I stayed for free.

So here are my reviews on the 6 paid accommodation services. I never one to pay for expensive accommodation (maybe one day I would), so the prices here ranges between 400 baht to 1600 baht.

Tune Asok - Bangkok
A small business hotel
The view from the room
The standard room
Pro:
Convenient location - just 2 minutes walk to Asok BTS, 3 minutes walk to Terminal 21, so easy to get food and groceries
Mattress - not too bad but also not the best one
Shower - big shower head, spacious shower
Sound - pretty quite when I stayed
Room safe deposit box
Receptionist - good English, friendly

Con:
The pillow - it is awful, very soft
The add on - fork out extra for toiletries (They do provide a hand soup, small shampoo, toilet paper and hair dryer), wifi, tv, aircon ( I didn't need one when I stayed - end of January 2015, I even turned off the fan as it was too cold) 

Verdict:
Overall it is OK for a short stay for solo traveler, definitely not for a family, I don't know how bigger space they have for family, but it is on the small size, but since you are not staying in the hotel, it is fine as just a place to rest and sleep. They do have room service or some sort, but with Terminal 21 so close, who needs the over price pad thai or tom yum soup?

Citipoint - Bangkok
A small business hotel

The superior room

Pro:
Location - just 3 minutes walk to Asok BTS - which unfortunately doesn't have a working lift (there is but it is locked at all times and when I pressed the bell for assistance, nothing happening for a good 10 minutes that I decided to drag my luggage up the stairs).
Clean and modern
Spacious shower

Con:
Not that I can think of, only stayed for 1 night

Overall, it is a nice small hotel at a convenient location, and the current construction didn't really bother anyone.  They gave welcome drink which is a cold ginger lemon grass. Quite spacious for a one person.

Hotel De Bangkok - Bangkok
It's a boutique hotel
The lobby

Lobby and small restaurant

The standard twin room

The take away breakfast because we have to leave early

Pro
Space - it is spacious
The layout is quite unique, with the bathroom/toilet (it has a bath) in the middle of the room separating the entrance and the bedroom
Amenities - they provide everything, and I love the smell of the shower gel and shampoo (jasmine-like)
Bed - fairly hard mattress, which is I like
Receptionist - soft spoken and helpful
Take away breakfast - nice tuna mayonnaise sandwich, include an OJ too, but because of airport no liquid rule, it had to go to the bin :(

Con
Location -  at Ratchaprarop, which is not really anywhere near mall, the pratunam mall is said to be 15 minutes walk. But it is very near the airport link, only less than 5 min walk. So it is a good hotel to stay if you are going from and to Suvarnabhumi Airport.
Noise - for some reason, it was quite noisy near the bedroom, facing an alley and looks like trucks come and go
Air con - it played out, it was either too cold or too hot, I couldn't figure out how to adjust it, so in the end I just opened the window

Overall, i think it is the hotel I like the most, mainly because the bed is nice and the toiletries smell nice too. There is a welcome drink, red color, which I didn't take because there was ice in it, and I just recovered from a 4 days stomachaches.

Meroom - Phuket
Seven room concept guest house

It is one of the funky guest house. Only house seven rooms with different decor, but share one theme - family rooms. There is room labeled kid, bro, guest etc.

The room

The bathroom next to the bed



Communal lounge room

Kitchen and breakfast area

Breakfast


Pro:
Bed - the mattress is heavenly. I personally think it is the best out of 7 beds I slept on
Safety deposit box
Amenities - the free snacks they provide, none of the accommodation I've stayed in provides them, selections of cereals, cold and hot drinks are at your disposable during your stay
Location - phuket town. surrounded by shops, massage parlor.  There is also a small mall opposite the road and seven eleven nearby

Con:
The expensive airport transfer car - 600 baht for a car. But i supposed that is how they role in Phuket. Every where it is expensive for airport transfer service
The tv - yes I decided to watch a tv here, but there was some problems, and I could only watch like 2 channels, and can't be bothered to bother the host again

Chiang Mai Gate - Chiang Mai

The entrance


Lobby

Lobby to the restaurant
Pro:
Location - near the Chiang Mai gate - old town gate, so I guess it is fairly central. On the alley going towards the main road, there are bars, cafe and small eatery
Restaurant- not a lot of variety but prices start at 80 baht (for pad thai etc) so it's fairly cheap

Con:
Bed - mattress is soft, it's an old hotel though
Wifi - very bad in the room, so the only place you can really have it is at the lobby

Overall this is the worst hotel I've stayed in Thailand. But it is an old hotel so it's quite outdated.

Bamboo House - Kanchanaburi

I stayed for 1 night at the floating hut. They also have rooms at the main building.
The floating hut
Inside the room





Pro:
Location - just about 5 minutes walking from bridge on the river kwai
No mosquitoes or bugs! Surprising because it is at a river
Restaurant is at the premise
English speaking receptionist
Wifi - they have it

Con:
Bathroom and toilet is at separate building, but very near. Just be careful not to fall on the water when going there at night
Mattress - quite hard as it is on the floor

Overall. It is an experience to stay in a floating hut. It shakes when boat passes. You can also see the a part of the bridge from the premise, and one of the huts.

Guess which one is the cheapest and which is the priciest?



No comments:

Post a Comment